- Mindful Adventure
- Outfitter Reviews
- Downloads (if applicable)
Spend five days kayaking and camping in the northern region of the Everglades 10,000 Islands Region on this incredible Everglades kayak tour!
This Everglades kayak tour takes you into the winding mangrove waterways along the Florida coast, as well as out to the pristine white sandy beaches that are scattered throughout the region. Paddling the Gulf of Mexico waters as we island-hop, we’ll be looking out for dolphins, rays, and other wildlife. Many of the islands of this region were originally shell mounds created by the Calusa Indians, and over time these islands grew to be quite large. White sand beaches stretch along many of these islands and offer inviting lunch and camp sites. During our paddles and nights in camp, you’ll also learn about the Everglades’ colorful history as the “last frontier” – a history not so far away in time that includes alligator hunters, drug runners, and murderers. Our four nights will be spent at campsites at various island beach and ground sites.
After setting up camp, there is plenty of time to explore the islands, meditate, do yoga or other workout, read a book, fish, or anything else you feel is right for your Recal journey. Evenings are spent enjoying dinner, watching the sunset, and relaxing by the campfire.
This Everglades kayak tour is designed for paddlers with some previous kayaking experience. Basic paddling and safety instruction will be reviewed at the beginning of the trip. You should be in good health and accustomed to regular exercise.
Available dates: January 23 – 27, 2022
Or, inquire about a custom date for this trip:
What do we mean by “mindful adventure” travel?
Sometimes, stresses of life and work can cause burnout, and we find ourselves off-center. Our multi-day, guided active trips are a perfect way to recalibrate, utilizing adventurous and mindful experiences in the outdoors. It is our mission to provide you the tools to attain, and maintain, a recalibrated mindset.
Our approach to mindfulness — and ultimately what we mean when we say — “mindful adventure” travel is this:
- Recal Journal. This important element actually begins before the trip itself; as soon as you sign up, you will be sent a Recal Journal. The journal has everything you need to begin your journey toward a recalibrated mindset: prompts for mindful and intentional living, daily highlights, lowlights, reflections, a gratefulness practice, and more.
- Mindful Adventure Fitness. If you live in a city where we conduct our in-person ‘Mindful Adventure Fitness’ classes, you can attend a session to practice your meditation, breathwork, and improve your fitness level leading up to your trip.
- Recal Journal. The trip itself provides the perfect mindspace and environment, immersed in nature, to be present and able to put thoughts and reflections on paper. Our Recal Journal is the perfect tool for this.
- Meditation. Your Recal guide leads meditations; the outdoor and unplugged nature of the trip enables you to dive more deeply into this mindfulness practice (even if you are new to meditation)
- Breathwork. In addition to meditation, there are also guided breathing exercises that are immensely helpful to center yourself and dive more deeply into being present.
- Yoga. The adventure elements of your trip (whether that is paddling, biking, or hiking) aren’t the only physical challenges. Depending on your trip itinerary, yoga will be incorporated. The practice is a flow more akin to recovery and flexibility, as opposed to a power flow, so it is a perfect complement to the physical nature of the trip.
- Unguided Mindfulness. In addition to the guided elements, we also set aside time in your trip itinerary to explore mindfulness on your own — whether that is a walking meditation, solo sit, silent hike, time to read, additional journaling, or any other activity.
- Recal Journal. Journaling doesn’t have to end with the trip; we created the journal specifically as an ongoing tool for mindful and intentional living. There is also an option to receive automatic replenishment of the refillable pages of the journal.
- Mindful Adventure Fitness. The core mission of Recal is to provide you with the tools to attain, and maintain, a recalibrated mindset so you are equipped to navigate all of life’s stressors and challenges. If you live in a city where we conduct in-person classes, consider attending a ‘Mindful Adventure Fitness’ class. And if you aren’t, consider following our content for information on workouts so you can ‘do it yourself.’
To summarize, the three core principles of mindful adventure travel are:
You can read more about our approach to mindful adventure travel on our About Us page.
Everglades Kayak and Camping Tour
Date : January 23, 2022
Arrive in Everglades City. After breakfast at a local eatery, we will head to launch in Goodland, Florida where we pack our boats and begin our trip! Our first night will be spent on Whitehorse Key where you'll enjoy evening dinner while watching the sun set.
Date : January 24, 2022
After a hearty island breakfast, we'll pack up the kayaks and head further south for a couple of nights on either Lulu Key or Panther Key. Another beautiful sunset awaits with dinner on the beach, with nothing but the sound of the Gulf of Mexico to lull you to sleep.
Date : January 25, 2022
Today is our day to explore toward the mainland, paddling into back bays and through mangrove "alleys." The afternoon is left open for you to decide -- you can take a hike, meditate, go for a workout or yoga, read a book, go fishing, walk along the beach or anything else you desire in your Recal journey. Much like the first few evenings, dinner will be served just before sunset.
Date : January 26, 2022
After breakfast, we break camp again and head back towards White Horse Key or Hog Key for the night. After landing and setting camp we'll go for an afternoon paddle back into the mangroves. We'll enjoy our last island dinner and sunset overlooking the Gulf of Mexico.
Date : January 27, 2022
After breakfast and breaking camp, we head back to our launch, clean our gear from the week of adventure, and return to Everglades City for hot showers and cold drinks before saying our goodbyes!
The cost of the trip includes:
- all equipment (kayak and paddling accessories)
- local transportation (as needed)
- all on-water meals
Not included in the cost is
- transportation to Everglades City, Florida
- lodging before or after the trip (if needed)
- Tent, sleeping bag, and pad
- alcoholic beverages
- gratuities for the guides
- medical expenses due to injury or illness
Pricing NameStartEndGroup (Min-Max)Pricing
For this specific trip, the outfitter will provide you with a packlist of all the items you should consider packing.
We do not provide travel to the start location for any of our Recal trips. We feel that everyone has transportation preferences, alt-travel options for work, or even points to use on their credit card, so we choose not to mandate any particular type of travel.
If you have any questions or require help booking travel, feel free to ask us!
NOTE: some trips have 'intra-trip' transportation needs (i.e. traveling from attraction to attraction or from rafting take-out to canyoneering site, etc.). The trip outline and details will specify if this included in the trip price.